Buying A Car
Before you hit the car yards, do some research so you don’t end up with a lemon. Read our tips to help you find the car of your dreams.
How much can you afford?
For 15 years Nova Alliance Bank® has been Newcastle’s Car loan Specialist. Why not speak to Yvonne or Emma at Nova and work out how much you can afford to purchase a car. As well as the purchase price, factor in the yearly costs of registration, insurance, maintenance and fuel. Don’t forget transfer of registration and stamp duty.
Once you are a car owner, keep your car insurance up to date: you may need it one day.
Choose the right car
It pays to focus more on the functions of the car than how it looks. Ask yourself:
- Are you licensed to drive a manual or will you need an automatic? Manual cars are often cheaper than automatic cars, and can cost less to repair.
- Are you looking for a new or second-hand car?
- Will the car have good resale value? This will be handy if you plan to sell or trade in your car in the future.
Do your research: Decide on the type of car you want, then visit a few dealers, look in the paper and go online to compare prices. Decide on a maximum price. Try bargaining: You can often get a better price if you bargain with dealers. If they know you’re serious, they may be prepared to do a deal.
Test drive the vehicle to confirm whether it meets your requirements, take a relative or a friend, don’t be persuaded to buy a car if you’re not 100% sure. Take your time to inspect the car and shop around.
Get the right insurance for the car, Click here for a quote from CGU insurance.
Order or take delivery of your car
Once finance is approved or you have saved the funds for the car you can organize delivery of the car.
- Do a PPSR check on the vehicle to ensure that the vehicle is not under finance, also that it has not been previously registered as a stolen vehicle or a repairable write off.
- Ensure the cheque or funds are made payable to the owner as listed on the registration papers.
- Consider a road worthy inspection.